Pages

Monday 18 February 2013

Christopher Kane A/W '13

I love Christopher Kane! I never make any secret about it: I LOVE him. He is a young Scottish designer who burst onto the scene in 2006 with his first collection. Since then, he has been wowing fashion critics and winning prestigious awards.

Today his latest collection, which was his Autumn/Winter '13, was showcased at London Fashion Week. I've picked my favourite looks:


I love the Autumnal colours: the wines, burgundies, blacks, navys, royal blues, purples and the flashes of orange are beautiful. They're so appropriate for the season but they're not boring because Kane re-invents them in a fresh and innovative way. The use of cutouts, applique, beading and feathers make this collection a real unique showstopper!
 
We get gorgeous silhouettes, which is to be expected with Kane. We get Kane's signature quirks with the use of velvet, the applique and the kilts. We also get intricate beading, knit, camo print, feathers and fur - which is territory Kane hasn't played with before. But, naturally, he handles them with such ease. Is there anything he can't do!? He even added brain motifs and got away with it. I'm sold, are you?
 
My favourite look of the whole collection has to be the velvet, off the shoulder dress (bottom right). I love velvet, it is one of my favourite fabrics.  I think the risky cut outs highlight Kane's astounding ability - they could easily look too much but Kane makes the dress look beautiful, dainty and modest instead of overly sexy. The off the shoulder cut and the knee length are fab - they're a winning combination when creating a strong but feminine look.
 
What do you think of the collection?
 
Sian x

No comments:

Post a Comment